My thoughts and a few suggestions

All topics about the game that don't fit in another category.
livewire

My thoughts and a few suggestions

Postby livewire » Sat May 14, 2016 4:09 am

First of all I just wanted to say I love this game.
On first glance it seems like someones Unreal Engine demo project (screenshots don't do it justice, the graphics are actually quite charming), then you actually play it for more than 10 minutes and realize there is a lot of depth and tactical gameplay. As a lifelong fan of Raptor Call of the Shadows the parallels are obvious, and appreciated, as I can only play that classic so many times. Some of the new features in this are just amazing, like the random levels/waves in skirmish mode, and the enemy returning mechanism which really forces target priority.

Anyway great game. If I was to offer a few suggestions:
- Minor typo in the first text/story paragraph. "Solider" instead of "Soldier". Didn't see any others, so that one stood out like a sore thumb.
- Better organization of the items in the shop. I know the background icon are color coded, but it'd be nice to have weapons split by type. Maybe sortable too? Also having tabs or something for base, +1, and +2. The stars at least help in this regard.
- Any chance to have shadows of incoming ships/planes? Again going from Raptor, this was a great way to positionally see what was coming up, and where you should be prepared to fire. Seems important when sometimes enemies take quite a bit of focus fire to kill (especially depending on build).
- Could we ever re-spec or reset perks? Seems like ~4-5 hours to get to max level, which is a bit of a commitment to try out each build in the game. Although I can see the arguments for that from a replayability point of view.

I know this game is over 2 years old and I'm sure the dev has moved onto other projects (maybe?) But are there any plans for updates, or a sequel, or anything like that?

Mysterial
Site Admin

Re: My thoughts and a few suggestions

Postby Mysterial » Mon May 16, 2016 12:13 am

The air units aren't shadowed because most of the light sources are actually to the side (otherwise things look too flat and you don't get enough depth perception) so if we did real shadows they'd mostly be cast offscreen or at least offset enough to not help. Perhaps there might have been a way to add fake shadows but I'm not sure it would have really helped.

Respec is one of those things that probably would have happened if the game had been successful enough to warrant more updates. I'm not a fan of free respec but I'm sure some compromise could have been found.

livewire

Postby livewire » Mon May 16, 2016 5:24 pm

Yeah the shadows just seemed like they'd be a useful or neat way to make front-facing guns more useful, since you could prepare for incoming enemies instead of having to react to them and likely enter their firing arc.

With the "no level cap" I guess every perk could technically be obtained, given enough time. I'll probably just end up making multiple profiles for each "build" I want to do. Respec would have just sped up that process, or been a nice way to undo a mistaken choice.

But for updates in general this game is done, right? You're not putting anymore work into it?

Mysterial
Site Admin

Postby Mysterial » Thu May 19, 2016 9:57 am

Unfortunately not. We'll still fix any critical bugs we can reproduce and so forth to make sure the game remains playable but no new features are coming.

KoreyHil

Postby KoreyHil » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:15 am

Mystedrial wrote:Unfortunately not. We'll still fix any critical bugs we can reproduce and so forth to make sure the game remains playable but no new features are coming.

That's perfectly understandable. The game is a few years old after all.

Return to “General Discussion”